Wednesday 5 May 2010

Our position on TAG and the airport explained

Below is dialogue with a resident that has been pretty common during the campaign and worth posting: Name of the resident is witheld to protect the innocent!!

_______________________________________


From: gerald@geraldhowarth.com [mailto:gerald@geraldhowarth.com]
Sent: 04 May 2010 20:59
To: M

Subject: RE: Further expansion of TAG at Farnborough Airport


Dear M


Thanks so much for your good wishes which I much appreciate. Let's keep in touch on the issue.


Best wishes, Gerald


Gerald Howarth
Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Aldershot & Shadow Defence Minister
Campaign HQ tel: 01252 323 637 Mobile: 07850 638023
Follow me on Twitter and find me on Facebook
________________________________________


From: M
Sent: 04 May 2010 14:53
To: gerald@geraldhowarth.com
Subject: Re: Further expansion of TAG at Farnborough Airport


Hello Gerald


Many thanks indeed for getting in touch so swiftly and so fully - I appreciate you are a very busy man at the moment!


Thank you also for making your position clear on the the future of TAG at Farnborough. I am heartened to hear of your personal view (and I also checked out David Clifford's blog who shares your view) of opposing any increases in weekend flying.


Good luck with the rest of the campaign and here's to being able to make a fresh start on Friday!


Kind regards
M
________________________________________


From: "gerald@geraldhowarth.com"
To: M
Cc: gerald.howarth@hotmail.co.uk; david clifford
Sent: Tuesday, 4 May, 2010 11:51:51
Subject: RE: Further expansion of TAG at Farnborough Airport
Dear M


Thank you for your email giving me the opportunity to respond to your concerns about the future of the Farnborough Aerodrome / Airport.


I have always made clear my support for the continuation of flying at Farnborough which is the oldest airfield in Britain and still serves as the biennial showcase for Britain's most successful manufacturing industry which generates massive foreign exchange earnings for the nation, as well as contributing to the health of our local economy. Furthermore, had flying not been secured the site would most probably by now have been ploughed up for houses.


That said, I am well aware of some concern locally about TAG's plans. Although I have no official position in the planning process (a matter for local councillors) I have nevertheless made it clear to the company that I am personally opposed to any further increase in weekend movements since the compnay has only recently been through a lengthy planning appeal on precisely that issue. As far as a general increase in movements is concerned, that will be determined by the Inspector, after the public inquiry due shortly, and his recommendation will go to Ministers in the local government dept.


Again, my personal position is that TAG has to make a case for the increase. They were clearly on track to reach the current limit of 28,000 movements but I understand the recession has slowed the rate of increase. If the Conservatives are returned to power on Friday, both here and nationally, I shall of course be pleased to ensure that the views of my constituents are well represented, but that view is by no means monolithic. You may be interested to know that of the 3,000 or so objectors to TAG's plans, only 25% came from Rushmoor residents and it's probably a truism that the supporters of a plan tend to be less voluble than objectors.


I believe that there ought to be a procedure by which the company and the local council could review on a, say, 5 yearly basis what the company's plans entail and how those can be accommodated by local residents.


I hope that reassures you. Just because there is a general election underway I believe that is no justification for ceasing to try to be objective in the interests of all those I serve! Even my Liberal opponent admitted during a discussion on the local BBC radio station that he wanted to see a viable operation at Farnborough, somewhat at odds with the theme of his literature, and it was the leader of the Liberal Group on Rushmoor borough council who was the only councillor to vote in favour of TAG's application.


If you wish to respond to any of the points I have made, please do not hesitate to do so.


Best wishes - and thanks for getting in touch.


Gerald Howarth
Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Aldershot & Shadow Defence Minister
Campaign HQ tel: 01252 323 637 Mobile: 07850 638023
Follow me on Twitter and find me on Facebook
________________________________________


From: M
Sent: 01 May 2010 13:22
To: gerald@geraldhowarth.com
Subject: Further expansion of TAG at Farnborough Airport


Hi Gerald


I hope you're well. I received one of your campaigning leaflets this morning, thank you.


As one of your constituents and a resident of Farnborough Park, I would like to know what your position is with respect to TAG's appeal to overturn the ruling on its proposed increase in flight movements at Farnborough airport. Given we live pretty much directly under the flight path and are already suffering with the previous increase in movements, larger aircraft and longer 'flight days', I would be keen to understand whether you would uphold their appeal (which obviously I and all my neighbours would be very disappointed by).


Please let me know as for me this is a crucial election issue.


I look forward to hearing from you.


Kind regards
M
Farnborough

No comments: