Friday 22 February 2013

DC 2 DC - My mate updates me on Energy Bills


Dear David,

As Prime Minister - and as a Conservative - I'm determined to do everything I can to help people with the cost of living. We've already helped freeze council tax, stopped Labour's fuel duty rise, capped the increase in rail fares and taken two million people out of paying income tax altogether.
Last year, I said we would do something else: take action on the sky-high energy bills that families across the country struggle with. At the moment, people often face a mind-boggling number of tariffs and pay a lot more than they should do.
That's why I made a personal commitment. I said it was time for energy companies to be straight with their customers and offer them the lowest available tariff. No more tricks, loopholes or small print; time for transparency.
So I'm delighted that yesterday OFGEM - the energy regulator - said it would deliver on my plan to get bills down. Starting this summer, energy companies will need to:
bullet
Present clear bills with the cheapest available tariff
bullet
Offer no more than 4 tariffs for each type of fuel
bullet
Abide by a rigorous code of conduct or face heavy fines
And the Government is going to use its Energy Bill to push things further still. Once this becomes law, suppliers will have to put people on the cheapest variable rate unless they choose otherwise.
These changes will at last help to switch the balance of power in the energy market. People will be in the driving seat and companies will be competing hard for their custom.
We said we'd do everything possible to help the hard-working families of this country - and we are keeping our word.

David Cameron 

1 comment:

David Clifford said...

David

Thank you for the update. Very good news although a little overdue (its been a cold and expensive winter), but I know you've been busy. The residents and I will keep you advised on how it goes.
I do wonder how effective these wind turbines are and what impact they are having on energy costs. That said they are a better option than Nuclear power which I do not want to see.